Sunday, May 24, 2009

WIldflowers near my parents house...



I shot these the other day after reading a blog post by Chase Jarvis about stepping outside the daily work and doing something for yourself. Lately, I have been working a lot on this school job. I have taken portraits and group photos for them. I have not shot much for myself in several weeks. Except for these flowers, and some iphone pics. There are so many ideas I have and so many things I want to do. I really want to concentrate on creating some really great photographs to show you out there, I need to step it up. I know now what is it to trudge through a paying gig that is more than a few hours at a wedding or event. The amount of work I have done after the shooting is incredible. I feel like I need an assistant. The actually taking of the pictures is wonderful. I need to find a way to bypass the post for the really big projects, because the pay is good. It is a job.



















I shot several of these pictures with a little kick of light from an sb-800, with the CTO filter that comes with the flash, and the diffuser dome on. I believe I was compensating the exposure down 2-3 stops and just adding a little light from the side. Flash exposure compensation at -1. I have had a little help with the grip recently from Joe McNally. This means that with a flash in hand, I was shooting with the camera shoved up in my left shoulder, and my left eye in the viewfinder, the flash in the left hand around the right side of the camera. Now I bet I moved the flash around a lot depending on were I wanted the light, but with this method described you really are more stable and balanced. Or bring a light stand like a smart photographer...

No comments: